For Over 37 Years, Long Island's Leading Non-Profit Organization Dedicated to Preventing Bullying and Child Abuse

Volunteer FAQs

I am a university student and would like to volunteer for your organization. What can I do to get involved?

We generally do not accept full-time students as volunteers, but on occasion we are able to offer internships to students majoring in guidance, community health, public health, counseling and other related studies.

I am a high school student and would like to volunteer for CAPS. What should I do to get involved?

Though students do not volunteer for CAPS as classroom presenters, we do have a need for and welcome office help and/or students interested in conducting fundraising activities for our organization. Many high schools require that students fulfill a community service requirement. CAPS is happy to participate in this goal with the approval of your school administrator.  

I work full-time, but would love to be involved with CAPS.  How can I help during evening and weekend hours?

While our office closes at 4PM weekdays, and our student workshops are presented in the classroom during the school week, many volunteers who work full time have found creative ways to be involved with CAPS off hours—through participation on a CAPS Committee, or presenting our workshops designed for adult audiences at community or PTA meetings, which often take place in the evening. Those volunteers with professional backgrounds in social work, psychology or counseling often find this venue very rewarding and workable considering their busy daytime work schedules.

I would like to volunteer at CAPS. I do not live on Long Island.  Do you have other CAPS locations?

We do not have any “brother” or “sister” organizations.  We are confident that your own community offers many meaningful opportunities for volunteering.  Check out your local hospital, community health agencies, social service agencies, day care center, homeless shelter, etc. You might also want to contact Prevent Child Abuse America. A concerned adult can make a world of difference to a child.