For Over 37 Years, Long Island's Leading Non-Profit Organization Dedicated to Preventing Bullying and Child Abuse

FAQs About Mandated Training

If I can’t find a babysitter, can I bring my child to the class?
Children, including babies, are not permitted to attend.

Can I get to CAPS by public transportation?
You can take a bus or train (MTA Long Island Bus or MTA Long Island Rail Road), but you’ll have to walk at least one mile or take a 10-minute taxi cab ride from the nearest stop to reach CAPS. If you require public transportation, we can provide further information to you when we receive your registration and course payment.

Will I have to take an exam?
No, and all you need is a pen and a notebook.

Will I leave with my certification?
Yes. The certification document has two parts: “State Education” and “Provider.”  You will be given the "State Education" copy upon completion of the course.  Make a duplicate for yourself, and send the original to the appropriate NY State Education department that has your licensing credentials (CAPS is NOT responsible for doing this).  CAPS keeps the "Provider" copy for a period of five years.  All of this will be explained by your instructor.

If I lose my certificate, can I get it replaced?
If you took your class at CAPS within the last five years, you can get a replacement certificate by providing CAPS with your name (at the time you took the class), which class you attended, approximately when you took it and a check for $5.00 made payable to Child Abuse Prevention Services.  We will then search our records and, when we find your certificate, we will mail you two copies.

Can I take either of the classes with CAPS online?
No.  CAPS’ classes are small and interactive and are not offered online.